Much like Canandaigua’s pier, Geneva’s long pier once had 36 boathouses on its north side. During the construction of the 5&20 arterial in the 1950s, the pier was shortened by 14 boathouses. By 1962, the state ordered the remaining boathouses be burned due to deterioration.
Long Pier served as a breakwater for the public dock area, a fishing pier, and as a recreation and tourist location. Around 1910 the pier was widened and paved with a solid walking surface. Railings and lighting were also added in the upgrade.