Director of Education
Job Title: Director of Education
Hours: Full Time (32 hours)
Benefits: Healthcare, vacation, sick leave, flextime policy
Reports to: Executive Director
Apply: Send a cover letter and resume with references to Director@ochs.org
Deadline: September 17 – 11:59 PM
The Ontario County Historical Society is seeking a full-time director of education who will help to advance the museum into a new and exciting time. As the museum looks to increase its collections, exhibit, and programming space, we are searching for someone to help us create and implement community-oriented programming. The position provides a unique opportunity for the candidate to have input on design and configuration of renovations to our museum, in addition to steering the direction of educational programming.
This is a full-time (32 hour) salaried position starting at $35,000 annual salary and healthcare benefits.
The Ontario County Historical Society is based in Canandaigua New York, which is the County Seat for Ontario County, with a population of approximately 100,000 in communities around the County. It is also located in the Finger Lakes region, which is a popular tourism destination. These and many other assets offer a promising future for the visitation of our museum and its educational programs.
- Program development
- Public tours – Create and execute recurring and one-time programs that engage an expanding and diverse membership. Including school tours in collaboration with school districts and their curriculum.
- Work directly with local teachers to provide insight on our collection and how to utilize it for creative programming.
- Plan and organize bi-monthly programming inside or outside of the museum such as book talks, guest lecturers, history happy hours, museum socials, or any other new programming approaches.
- Work with the curator and director to plan annual programming themes.
- Nurture partnerships with other local museum educators.
- Work closely with the director to provide ideas and projects for grant applications.
- Contribute to and edit the quarterly newsletter.
- Fill in at the front desk when needed.
- Assist with Social Media pages when needed.
- Create a brief education report for the director each month.
- Provide input on the design plan for the addition to our museum for unique and innovative educational programming.
- Attend museum conferences that are related to museum goals and growth.
- Perform other tasks as may be necessary as requested by the Director or Board.
- Undergraduate degree in history, museum studies, education, or related field
- 1-3 years of experience in a classroom or museum setting
- Knowledge of NY Learning Standards
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Graduate degree in history, museum studies, education, or related field
- 3-5 years experience in classroom or museum settings
- Experience with museum education concepts, pedagogy, best practices, curriculum creation, and facilitation
- Experience with community organizing and collaboration
- Public speaking experience
The Ontario County Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. The Ontario County Historical Society makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
To apply, send a cover letter and a resume with references to Director@ochs.org by September 17, 11:59 PM.