The Historical Museum
The Ontario County Historical Museum, a Georgian Revival building, is a landmark on Main Street Canandaigua. It was designed by famed architect, Claude Bragdon and constructed in 1914 with donated dollars from the Canandaigua community. It houses the antiquity of our community and is the location where we present Education Programs and exhibitions of our collections. It also is the location of our Research Library.
When first built, was also home to Wood Library, Canandaigua’s public library. By 1972, the library had outgrown its space and relocated to the Sibley House at 134 North Main Street. As historic partners, Wood Library and the Ontario County Historical Society continue to collaborate on programming. Today, OCHS shares its space in a new partnership with the Ontario County Arts Council.
The Historical Museum holds the society’s archives, rare documents collections, and research library. There are three exhibit galleries, an education room, a book shop where local history books can be purchased, and an exhibit of an early nineteenth century kitchen which was an original exhibit to the museum building.